Thursday 3 May 2012

Info-Graphics

For this task, we were told we needed to take an existing infographic and to create an animation from it. Firstly i decided to take a look at other infographic animations, most of which were found on google as there are so many of them. From what i can see infographics are a way of showing complex information, quickly and clear enough so that the average viewer can understand the information thoroughly. From the infographic animations that i looked at, the animation was very simple and basic yet effective. I assume its simplicity it again to help the viewer understand every piece of information clearly. Here is a well know example of an infographic animation so that you can understand what i am talking about.
From what i have seen, most infographic animations are created using after effects and illustrator. So this is what i will be using to try and create my own animation. I looked through the samples provided by my university in order to select an infographic to animate. The one that initially caught my eye was the "Getting Around Transportationn Today" inforgaphic. However i decided to look closely at a few more example just to conjure up some ideas.  



From here i decided to do some planning on paper, I read each separate sentence form the existing info-graphic that I had chose and jotted down pictures, and annotate how the information linked to this picture will be delivered.

I noticed that all of the information on the info-graphic was very random, and so i found it hard to put structure towards the narrative. 

The final script is seen below:

Getting Around Transportation Today

1.      $385 million dollars is the amount in airplane damages caused annually by bird strikes according to the FAA

2.      Seven thousand is the average number of bags lost daily by the airline industry.   Off every thousand bags handled five are lost.

3.      The Worlds fastest trains range from france at 320 mph to usa at 150 mph

4.      8 Years is the length of the longest horse-drawn journey completed in 1998 by a British family who travelled 17,200 miles around the world in a trailer

5.      4,000 miles is the distance from Ethiopia to South Africa walked by the Nomadic Bantu people in pursuits of fresh cattle pastures in the 1700s. Along the way the Bantu “sowed their wild oats” spawning the Masii of Kenya the Zulu of South Africa the Makua of Tanzania the Yau of Mozambique the Hutu of Rwanda and the Baganda of Uganda to name a few.

6.      1849 is the  date of  the first documented air attack when an Austrian hot air balloon dropped a 50 pound bomb on the Island of Murano near Venice

7.      The amount of cars and trucks per 1000 people in the usa is 785

8.      Vehicle traffic per kilometre of road ranges from usa at 33 cars, to hong kong at 279

9.      The amount of motorbikes per 1000 people in the usa is considerably less than the amount of cars, standing at  just 15

These are my annotations and pictures, of what I imagined the animation to look like after reading the infographic






 From this script, and planning, I created the final storyboard



For the background I tried to make it interesting, tho i wanted to keep it looking very simple, so i looked and played with a few different textures to see what looked good





In the end i decided to keep if very simple and just went for a white texture with a rap, to give it a darker colour at the edges blending into tho middle.
 I looked at lots of videos on youtube for inspiration 
In the infographic i liked the plane flying overhead at the started, which made an interesting scene transition, i also liked how the infographic was very cleanly and clearly presented.
This one was interesting to me as it was made up entirely from public domain symbols. I used this idea with my luggage conveyor belt scene, in which i used symbols from the airport.

I also looked at tutorials for kinetic typography 
As this is something that interested me, and i thought was a very usefull and fun way of explaining information

I was going to need to use alot of transitions, to get me from one scene to the other, so i decided to watch a few tutorials.
Another effect that i used alot was the linear whipe, i found this very usefull.

One of the problems i would have to overcome was syncing the audio and animation. So i looked at a few tutorials, i liked this one in particular because i found it to be clear and understandable
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcj6EFCwPkE

I made sure to think about the principles of animation. I used alot of squash and stretch and timing whilst creating my animation.
Most of which is used for the kinetic typography in which i make it so the text appears to bounce in etc. another inportant principle was the timing. I made sure that i recorded the vocals first so that it would be easier to animate, as i had previously tried to animate to the vocals which turns out to be much much harder.


Some of the issues i had to overcome, corrupt files!!


Work in microsoft photoshop.

This is the final outcome of my work. My infographic animation.



No comments:

Post a Comment